You may need to replace an ink cartridge before it is expended if it has been installed in your printer for more than six months and print quality declines.
You can use your computer to replace an ink cartridge before the error light flashes or EPSON Status Monitor notifies you that the cartridge is expended.
You can only replace an ink cartridge by using the printer buttons when an ink cartridge is expended. You cannot use the printer buttons to replace an ink cartridge before it is expended.
To replace a 'low' ink cartridge, follow the instructions in the section for the operating system your computer is using. You must make sure that the printer is powered on and connected to the computer before following these instructions.
You can view on-screen instructions for replacing an ink cartridge using the printer maintenance utilities.
- Click Print from your application's File menu, highlight the Epson printer icon, then click Properties/Printing Preferences.
- In the Epson preferences window, click on the Maintenance/Utility tab.
- If you need to replace an ink cartridge before it is low or expended, click on the Ink Cartridge Replacement button on the Maintenance/Utility tab.
Mac OS X (Stylus S20, S21, SX100/SX105, SX200/SX205 only)
You can view on-screen instructions for replacing an ink cartridge using the printer maintenance utilities. You can access this section in the following ways:
- Double-click the EPSON Printer Utility3 icon in the Applications folder in the Macintosh hard drive.
- If prompted, select the printer from the Printer List, then click OK.
- Click Print from your application's File menu, highlight the Epson printer icon, then click Print Settings from the pull-down menu in the 'Print' window (for 10.5, you may need to click on the arrow to expand the window).
- Click on the Utility icon. (The Utility icon is not displayed when the printer is shared.)
- For Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4 only: Open the Mac OS X hard drive, then browse to the /Applications/Utilities folder and double-click the Printer Setup Utility icon. Select the appropriate printer from the list, then click the Utility button.
- If you need to replace an ink cartridge before it is low or expended, click on the Ink Cartridge Replacement button in the Epson preferences window.
Stop button functions
The Stop button can be used for the following functions:
- Press once to cancel scanning, printing or copying. The sheet being printed is ejected.
- Press and hold for three seconds to clean the print head (when the red ink light is not displayed).
- Press to move the ink cartridge holder to indicate one or more 'low' ink cartridges.
- Press to move the ink cartridge holder to indicate one or more 'empty' cartridges and move it to the ink cartridge replacement position.
- Only when the green On light is steady and the ink error light is on and steady.
- A solid ink error light indicates that an ink cartridge is either empty, missing, or in rare cases, that it is not recognised by the printer.
- Press to instruct the printer to move the print head and begin charging the ink delivery system after ink cartridge replacement or installation.
If you are experiencing a problem with the ink cartridge holder not moving to the ink cartridge replacement position, the correct process may not have been followed. For example, if you hold down the Stop button for three seconds when the On light is steady and the ink light is not displayed this will initiate a head clean cycle. The ink cartridge holder moves out and moves from left to right during this cleaning cycle. It will not stop in the ink cartridge replacement position.
A head clean cycle will use a small amount of ink to force it through the print head nozzles. If you have not experienced print quality problems such as lines or gaps in the print, a head clean is not required. Initiating a head clean in this instance uses ink unnecessarily.
Back to Top